Friday, October 2, 2009

unhappy farmers


Here are my 2 very unhappy farmers last night...I will explain.

Jar is anxiously awaiting the beginning of harvest. Well, for a few reasons a) his own crop isn't maturing as fast as he would like for it to, b) harvest means work, which has been slow-going the past month, c) because it gets him out of the house! hahaha! (Maybe that last one is why I am anxiously awaiting harvest.)

Olivia came home from school last night with a interesting little science project, which happened to be right up Jarrett's alley. Yesterday in school, they put soybean seeds in little plastic baggies. Then each child brought it home wearing it like a necklace, tucked into their shirts close to their warm little bodies.

I, foolishly, asked Olivia if she made a necklace at school. (And I say foolishly, because boy did that ever bring out the sass in her. She answered in her most "gee-whiz-Mom-don't-you-know-anything" tone. If I ever find who taught my daughter sarcasm, oh wait I just need to look in the mirror...ahem!)
She said that she was "growing a seed & it is germinating." I was quite impressed that she knew such a big word. And this statement definitely caught her father's ear. Thus, a 15 minute conversation between father & daughter all about farming, planting, germinating, & so on. It was really cute. She told him how her class will be planting the seeds tomorrow.
And they were irritated when I interrupted their little discussion to snap a picture.

All in a days work I guess. I am sure my two farmers are not the only farmers who are a bit on edge these days.


No comments: