Friday, May 22, 2009

Dodging Bullets

Last night we had a bit of a scare...I had to take Jarrett to the ER. He has been fighting a fever since Monday night, & having a lot of abdominal pain & pressure. After persistent nagging some reasoning with him, I convinced him of going to the Dr.

Well, we were only at the Dr's office for about 20 minutes & they said "go to the ER, we are pretty sure your appendix needs to come out". (Insert panic attacks for both Jarrett & I here.) We both thought, he'll go get checked out & we will be sent home with an Rx for an antibiotic because it is just some type of bladder infection.

We go to the ER. The Dr there, doesn't seem to think its his appendix. But to rule it out, Jarrett had a CT Scan. And in order to do that, he had to drink a Berry Barium Smoothie! Which he said was absolutely delightful & everyone should try it...or was it "I would rather get kicked in the nuts than drink that crap ever again"??? I can't remember...

We waited & waited & waited. I don't have any problem with that. Ok, I do. Because I LACK PATIENCE! It wouldn't be so bad, but all of these different scenarios are going through my head. I am trying to be the strong one, the reassuring one - both also not strong suits. I tend to crumble...

The results of the CT Scan were finally back...we are pushing midnight at this point. (Thankfully, my Mom was in town & came to pick up the girls from the hospital around 8:00.) The Dr comes in & is mumbling talking very fast & using very large words like "diverticulitis" (pretty sure this is spelled wrong if it is even a word at all). He said enlarged lymph nodes & cancer very close together. And I nearly crapped my pants at that very second. The word I missed from the sentence was NOT cancer. But we dodged a bullet....

The diagnosis - an infection of some sort coupled with enlarged lymph nodes. Possibly a prostate, bladder, or urinary tract infection - maybe all. So we are treating all of them. The Rx - huge antibiotic pills & a pain pill that can evidently help a man to sleep well past 10:00 when he is normally up with the roosters.

The moral of the story...I am so thankful that Jarrett is ok & it isn't anything more serious. And I felt guilty for earlier in the day being a little ticked off at him for something really petty. (I haven't told him about that last part & I don't intend too. Can I assume my secret is safe with all of you??? *grin*)

No comments: