Tuesday, January 19, 2010

eczema sucks itches

Tis the season for eczema...or so I am told. And my poor little girl has it...bad!

(Warning: This may not be real interesting reading. I just want to put it all down here so I can go back & look at this once she is better.)

Rachel's eczema is out of control. I hate it. And I know she hates it. I even took her to the Dr yesterday morning hoping they would refer her to a dermatologist that could maybe give her some relief. However, they want to try a few more "at home" treatments before they go the prescription steroid route. Since they don't know what truly causes eczema, its really just a crap-shoot on how to treat. What we need to do is make her comfortable. And at the time being, I can safely say, she isn't all that comfortable. At least, that is the sum of what I got out of the appointment yesterday. I feel pulled in 2 directions about this.


#1) I want to be her advocate in this. After all, I am the one putting creams/lotions/ointments/salves on her raw scratched up legs every single day. I am the one who gives her a bath only to have her scream & say "no Mama" repeatedly. I want the Dr's to just "fix" her. I don't want her to continue to have this problem every single year. I want her to have that soft, smooth baby skin again. But now it's all rough & tough. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like skin, it feels like shoe leather. I know she is in pain & I know it really really bothers her. I want it to just go away. I want to tell the Drs "I think we have tried it all (even though I know we haven't literally tried it all) can you just give us something to make it stop altogether."

#2) I want to trust the Dr's judgement. They have gone to medical school & all. I have not. They have treated several patients in their careers. I have not. They think "at home" treatment by changing soaps/creams etc...will make this more managable. I just want it to go away.

In a nutshell, here is the game plan:

* Concoct our own cream by mixing Aquaphor ointment & Aveeno lotion. This needs to be applied 10 times a day.

* Luke-warm baths for no longer than 10 minutes at a time & only every other day. As soon as she is out of the bath, pat dry & immediately apply the cream. Use a soap substitute; put this powdery stuff on her before the bath & only have her in there long enough to get the stuff lathered up & rinsed off. Wash her hair in the sink so the shampoo doesn't cause more irritation. (ummm...not so sure if this will work on a squirmy little 2 year old, but I will give it a go.)

* Avoid clothes that will make her too hot or warm because that will cause a "flare up".

* Use Hydrocortisone cream 1 time a day (already tried that & it made it worse).

* Keep her fingernails trimmed diligently. This I have been doing for some time & I will definitely keep up with that.

I did my best yesteday. I applied said cream at least 4 times yesterday. And I gave Day Care a supply to be slathered on after each diaper changing. However, I feel like I may have set her back some. I put her in her flannel jammies to sleep. It was cold last night & I felt chilly in our house. But, I think she got too hot in the night because she woke up crying & scratching like crazy. (Note to self: don't put her in flannel jammies to sleep.)

So, we will continue Rachel's battle with eczema. And I want to be able to say "I have full confidence this is going to do the trick" but I am cynical. We did however get some good news. Most eczema in babies/toddlers will go away with time. Most out grow it by the time they are 5 or 6. I will keep my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ask ppl on facebook how to get rid of it maybe someone else has some ideas?:)

Kari said...

I don't know if you'll get this, but my little cousin has eczema and he seemed to do really well after they cut dairy out of his diet. His doctor recommended lotions with lanolin in them. Apparently lots of lotions contain alcohol, which only makes the condition worse. Anyway, he takes a 5 minute shower every day, pats dry and puts on his lotion. He wears tighter long sleeved and long legged jammies. This keeps the lotion on the skin and keeps him from itching in the night. Maybe these things will help your little one.