It started off rather rocky. Tears & wailing screams from Rachel as I dropped her off in her new classroom. Olivia is in a different classroom across the hall from Rachel. I expected as much from Rachel, considering #1, this the first time that Olivia & Rachel have been separated anywhere outside of our home (Aside from Olivia going to pre-school for 2 hours 3 afternoons a week last year). And #2, this was their very first day in the new daycare. Olivia, like the independent girl that she is, didn't even give me so much as a good-bye hug or kiss. I got a wave & an eye roll. That's my sassy girl!
By the time I picked them up, Rachel had made a new best friend, Leah. They played together all day & got along famously. (Insert one relieved Mama right here!) Olivia didn't disappoint, she had a blast. And was very happy to report that "pizza rolls for lunch were awesome & spicey. Mama-Mia" I'm telling ya, I couldn't make up half the stuff this crazy kid says!
Rachel came home with a sticker on her back that proudly displayed her name so she would not be confused with any of the other non-speaking kiddos. And Olivia came home with a stack of pictures that she had made for us through-out the day. She even drew a picture of Jarrett with his semi-truck. It was fairly accurate & I think she has excellent artistic potential.
Then the evening went on as normal. Jarrett had to go load his soy sauce at 6:30, so that left the girls and I to fend for ourselves. It was fairly uneventful. The girls didn't want to eat a big dinner (Olivia told me she was too full from awesome pizza rolls). I didn't want to make dinner for just myself. Anywho...we had a major change of plans with our uneventful evening.
Rachel had a runny nose on Sunday but nothing all day Monday. But by Monday evening, she was getting a little stuffy & warm. So I gave her some ibuprofen. Then she proceeded to fight off sleep like any wild & crazy toddler. By 8:30, she finally gave in & was sleeping soundly. I sat in the chair with her so we could watch me some TLC. Olivia was zonked out on the couch as well. I thought, man this went easier than I thought it would. Normally an evening by myself is a little nutzo. And I don't get to sit down & rest until well after 9:45. So, this my friends was awesome!
However, things changed rather rapidly for the worse around 10:30. Rachel woke up absolutely screaming her head off. She couldn't catch her breath. She was weazing & coughing. Every single breath sounded like hic-ups. Her whole body would flinch & tighten up. Her fingers turned cold & her toes turned cold. I FUH-REAKED OUT! She was not getting enough oxygen. I called Jarrett in a panic & he was 5 minutes from home thank goodness. We rushed her to the ER.
There were a bazillion different things going through my mind on the drive there. It was without a doubt the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my entire existence. To have your child hurting, sick, whatever & not know how to fix it. Thankfully, the Dr. & nurses in the trusty ol' ER knew exactly what the problem was & how to fix it.
Rachel had a croup attack. And from 11:00 pm to 4:00 am we were at the hospital. She had a steroid shot & 2 breathing treatments. And a little bit after 4:00 am, she was given a clean bill of health & discharged. I am so thankful that we took her & it was a relatively easy fix. The nurses were quick to inform me that it sounds much worse than it really is, and that it is not very painful. But based on Rachel's reaction, I am assuming it was probably painful for her. Only she knows that.
But here were are 1 & half days later, and I tell you, if I hadn't been there myself & took her to the ER I never would have guessed that this little stinker was in that rough of shape on Monday night. It makes me think of how often I might take both of the girls excellent health for granted. We are completely 100% blessed to have such wonderfully-healthy-happy-crazy kids! Like my Grandpa always says "its better to have them running around getting into trouble than not being able to do all of the things you have to get after them to not do." More truer words I have never heard!
No comments:
Post a Comment