Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Olivia - these days

Anyone else think that summer is absolutely flying by?

I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, I am ready for the routine again. I'm ready for official bedtimes. I'm ready for stories about what she did at school. On the other hand, I am just as sad to see it end as Olivia. She has been having these semi-emotional fits where she simply cannot believe that summer is nearing an end. She sobs saying, "summer is almost over & I didn't have any fun. It is only 3 months. We just got out of school & it starts again next month."

She's right. 1 month from today, she will be back in school. This time, 2nd grade - at Grandma's school. I can hardly believe my little Sassaroon is going into 2nd grade. How did that happen?

I don't necessarily believe the whole not having any fun part, though. She may be just a tad bit on the dramatic side, I wonder where she gets that...nevermind. We have been having lots of fun. At least, I think we have. Does this look like an unhappy girl to you? I think not.
My sweet Olivia, she has it pretty rough. Growing up & wanting to be independent is a double-edge sword. She wants to do things, ALL THINGS, on her own terms. She can do anything herself. She doesn't need me to treat her like a baby. -- straight from the horse's mouth, people.

Evidently, life is pretty rough when you are 7 & your little sister is 3. We still pick Rachel up all the time. I tried to explain to Olivia that, its not that I don't want to pick Olivia up, carry her around, & hold her - I just can't any more. I'm 5'2" - Olivia hits me at chest level. I am more than happy to let Olivia snuggle up with me on the couch of an evening or sit in bed with me, which she does quite frequently.

She goes to the Dr next week for her 7 year old well child physical. She's not looking forward to that, even though I assured her there would be no shots. We are going to discuss her tonsils. They are ginormous - like always touching. She has complained off & on all summer of sore throats. I thought this may be due to her sleeping with the fan on, or allergies. But those tonsils are scary big. And she has a minor history of strep throat - probably like twice a year for the past 3 years or so. I think it is time to address the possibility of having her tonsils out. Not sure if it's necessary, because I am not a Dr. I just don't want her to keep going through strep & sore throats. We shall see.

What else can I say about my Olivia?

I love her stories. I love her sense of humor. I love her crazy dancing. I love how much she loves Snooki. I love that she asked if she can start getting an allowance for doing chores. I love how she cries at the ASPCA commericals with the Sarah McLachlan music playing. I love that she has lost 4 baby teeth so far, but only pulled this last 1 herself because she was too scared before.

I love everything about Olivia. She is growing & learning. She is really coming into her own. She has an attitude, but she knows how to reel it in when necesary. I just love her.

No comments: