Today, Rachel had her surgery. We had to be at the surgery center at 6:45. We took her in the dress she slept in & wore all day yesterday. I gave her a bath in the sink yesterday, but she played outside afterwards & the bottom of her feet were filthy. I didn't notice them until we got her in the hospital gown. I was a little embarrassed, but then I figured - she's 3, its summer, she is going to get dirty. They have probably seen worse.
I was an absolute ball of nerves. If you know me, and I am assuming most of you do, this should come as no surprise. I didn't sleep much at all last night. That actually worked out in my favor because I was up when my alarm went off at 4:50 am.
The Drs all explained to us that her procedure was very quick & seemingly painless. She wouldn't have to have an IV they just gave her laughing gas. Dr. Johnson (her ortho Dr) said it should take 45 minutes. We were back in pre-op with her for about 40 minutes. Then they came to take her to the OR. She cried when they tried to wheel her down on the gurney. (I had horrible flashbacks of going down the 9 floors in the hospital with her screaming the whole time in the gurney.) But luckily, the super nice nurse decided it would be better to just carry her to the OR.
We were given one of those things like at a restaurant when you are waiting for a table. We were told it would buzz when it was time for us to meet her in the recovery room. We went out to the lobby. First we stopped to use the restroom & get a cup of coffee in the little lounge. I'd say both of these things took a total of 5 minutes. I texted family & friends at 7:48 that she had just gone to the OR & we were waiting. That they expected it to take 45 minutes. I sat, rather impatiently, I got up several times to look at the board that tells you what phase of the procedure they are on. Her number never updated. I assumed they hadn't officially started.
Then Dr. Johnson came out. I immediately thought something was wrong, which is incredibly silly. After all, if something was wrong, why would the surgeon leave the OR to come tell the parents right that second. I digress...The report was that she did wonderfully & was already waiting for us in recovery. I texted family & friends with said report at precisely 8:04. So I would say given our potty breaks that the whole thing took maybe 20 minutes.
Here she is with her Daddy before they called us back to pre-op.
I was an absolute ball of nerves. If you know me, and I am assuming most of you do, this should come as no surprise. I didn't sleep much at all last night. That actually worked out in my favor because I was up when my alarm went off at 4:50 am.
The Drs all explained to us that her procedure was very quick & seemingly painless. She wouldn't have to have an IV they just gave her laughing gas. Dr. Johnson (her ortho Dr) said it should take 45 minutes. We were back in pre-op with her for about 40 minutes. Then they came to take her to the OR. She cried when they tried to wheel her down on the gurney. (I had horrible flashbacks of going down the 9 floors in the hospital with her screaming the whole time in the gurney.) But luckily, the super nice nurse decided it would be better to just carry her to the OR.
We were given one of those things like at a restaurant when you are waiting for a table. We were told it would buzz when it was time for us to meet her in the recovery room. We went out to the lobby. First we stopped to use the restroom & get a cup of coffee in the little lounge. I'd say both of these things took a total of 5 minutes. I texted family & friends at 7:48 that she had just gone to the OR & we were waiting. That they expected it to take 45 minutes. I sat, rather impatiently, I got up several times to look at the board that tells you what phase of the procedure they are on. Her number never updated. I assumed they hadn't officially started.
Then Dr. Johnson came out. I immediately thought something was wrong, which is incredibly silly. After all, if something was wrong, why would the surgeon leave the OR to come tell the parents right that second. I digress...The report was that she did wonderfully & was already waiting for us in recovery. I texted family & friends with said report at precisely 8:04. So I would say given our potty breaks that the whole thing took maybe 20 minutes.
Here she is with her Daddy before they called us back to pre-op.
Here I am with my girl in the recovery room. The second I walked back there she stood up on the bed & yelled "Mommy". She practically jumped into my arms. She declared that her arm felt all better & that she wanted to go home. I told her she had to drink some juice & get awake then we would leave. Well she took that to heart, she slammed that juice like nobody's business. I texted family & friends at 8:39 that we were in the car heading home.
She was wore out & fell sound asleep on the way home. She is currently on the 3rd hour of her nap this afternoon. She hasn't complained of pain at all. She got pain medicine at the surgery center. I asked her how it felt & she said fine & basically punched herself in the arm. There is just an ace-bandage that is on it now to cover the pin sites. That can come off on Saturday & then she will be a free woman. I am SOOOO looking forward to that. Let me tell ya, baths in the kitchen sink aren't nearly as fun to give a 3 year old. And the best part, according to Rachey, this balloon.




No comments:
Post a Comment