We were driving home last night when Olivia says to me (in her best pouty little voice), "Why didn't you give me a fancy name? Other people's names are fancy. I wish I had a fancy name too." Then there she sat, arms crossed & lips pursed.
***********************
When Jarrett & I sat down to pick out names, I distinctly remember saying "I want a beautiful, almost elegant girl's name. And the boy's name has to be masculine."
It wasn't hard coming up with the girl's name. I had Olivia Grace picked out since I read Shakespeare's "The Twelfth Night" when I was a senior in high school. I thought Olivia Grace had such a pretty ring to it. To me, it sounded quite FANCY.
I will say, it is a very good thing that Olivia was an Olivia & not a boy. We didn't have a boy name we had settled on. The two we were tossing around were David Jarrett and Sean Richard. I wasn't 100% committed to either one of those. So, it is quite a good thing that Olivia came out an Olivia.
It wasn't hard coming up with the girl's name. I had Olivia Grace picked out since I read Shakespeare's "The Twelfth Night" when I was a senior in high school. I thought Olivia Grace had such a pretty ring to it. To me, it sounded quite FANCY.
I will say, it is a very good thing that Olivia was an Olivia & not a boy. We didn't have a boy name we had settled on. The two we were tossing around were David Jarrett and Sean Richard. I wasn't 100% committed to either one of those. So, it is quite a good thing that Olivia came out an Olivia.
***********************
She peeked my interest. I asked her, "What do you think is a FANCY name?" --- her answer "Abby or Katie, those are fancy names."
Just a week ago, Olivia asked Jarrett, "Why didn't you name me Jade?" --- he answered "Because we liked Olivia."
Olivia, Olivia, Olivia...That girl, my sweet & sassy Olivia Grace. I cannot picture her with any other name. She is Olivia. She is Livie Grace. She is Livie Lou. She is Livie Pie. She is Liv. And I am worried about what the teenage years will bring. I didn't realize at the ripe old age of 6, your name would cause you such stress.

1 comment:
Where I love the name Abby, for given reasons, I would never consider my name a fancy name. Abigail maybe a little more fancy but Abby? Everything bad goes with Abby...flabby abby, gabby abby, crabby abby...tell her these examples and maybe Olivia won't sound so bad anymore. Ha ha!
Post a Comment