Friday, September 4, 2009

Week 2 & Rachel

Olivia's 2nd week of Kindergarten is complete! And she still loves it. I am so happy for her. And our morning routine is still going great. And we have not tempted fate by having her do hot lunch again. I don't think we will do that again for a while. She is a happy camper with her bologna sandwich, granola bar, and sour cream & onion pringles. Now, if I can make a mental note to always remember to put her milk money in her lunch bag - then we will be in business. I remember, but it's not until we are out the door waiting for the bus.

Olivia is still a little tight lipped about the goings on at school. I do know PE is still her favorite. And she likes to eat lunch sitting across from her cousin Nathan. I didn't share this little nugget of a Nathan-ism last week. But since my sister always shares a nice Nathan quote in each post, I will tell you all about it now. The day Olivia claimed she shared lunch with Nathan last week, Nathan told her "tomorrow I will get my Mom to send 2 quarters so I can buy a chocolate milk for both of us." Isn't that boy sweet & funny.

Olivia also has been looking just so darn cute these days. Every morning I do her hair & she looks adorable. Just so grown up...and I think she may be catching the eyes of some boys in school already. Lord help me! I remarked on how cute she looked Monday when I picked her up from Day Care. She told me that her little girl friend Skye liked her hair clip. And that Blaise said her hair was just so smooth & pretty. Olivia seemed pretty proud that Blaise liked her hair & she got all red in the face. But so far no boyfriend...I jokingly ask her.

She doesn't talk much about her school activies or what she is learning. She talks more about her friends & lunch. Which I am sure she gets from me. Such a social little girl! And tonight Olivia is performing at the high school football game. It's the Mini M-Squad. Last night was practice & she learned the dance routine. But she didn't show me any of the moves. So I am sure tonight will be interesting. I hear there were 212 little girls there. YOWZA!!! I am sure the bleachers will be packed tonight!

Now that the Olivia update is done, onto my lovely second born girl!

Rachel is still her onery little self. She has adjusted well to Day Care & seems to enjoy it. No more tears...so Mama is a happy camper too. Jarrett was off work the majority of this week so she got to spend some extra time with him & maintain her status as "Pal".

I know we all have heard it, "every child is different". Well, I think I got polar opposites in my 2 little girls. Even though they look alike, they do not act alike. I repeat, they do not act alike. I am going to just come right out & say it: OLIVIA SPOILED US! She was SOOOOO EASY from birth until 3 or 4. We didn't see any defiance or attitude really from her until Rachel was on the scene. And I anticipated that. A new baby & she doesn't have 100% of the attention that she used to get. So on & so forth.

Rachel has been a trying child from the day she was born. She doesn't sleep all night like Olivia did. She doesn't eat like Olivia did. She is completely different. I didn't expect Rachel to be a carbon copy of Olivia in every single way. But I did expect them to have similar characteristics & behaviors. Rachel, how do I say this, marches to the beat of her own drum. She does things on her own schedule. Take crawling for instance, this child never crawled an inch. She scooted, if you don't remember look HERE.

The dreaded time of the day is bedtime. Rachel is as stubborn as the day is long. She didn't want to sleep in her crib anymore. So about 2 months ago, I converted it to a toddler bed. That worked for all of 3 nights. She detests her bed. She likes to sleep being held, STILL! I know, bad habit to start - yada yada yada. But come on now, this Mama has got to sleep too. If holding her is the only way that is possible then so be it. That lasted for a month.

Now, she likes to sleep in our room. We took the mattress off of her unused bed & put it on our floor. This is where she sleeps. Or shall I say, this is where she starts out. Usually about 2 or 3 hours in she wakes up SCREAMING!!! And then gets put in bed with us. After about 3 or 4 little feet to the ribs or a toddler head-butt, I move to the bed on the floor - LOVELY! Nothing like having to sleep on your own bedroom floor to make a great night of rest.

Any suggestions or ideas that may work for me to get this girl to sleep in her bed in her room where she belongs? You know, suggestions other than hog-tying her...that is Jar's suggestion that I constantly shoot down.

And I wonder why I am always tired & want to take a nap right this very moment.



No comments: