When I was younger, my Mom always said how lucky my sister & I were. This usually took place in the midst of a fight, disagreement, punching match, what-have-you. She said we were lucky, because we each had something she never had and that is a sister.

I used to think she said this to make us stop fighting, arguing, punching, etc...To try to make us "like" each other. To a 13 year old & a 15 year old girl with pretty sassy attitudes, we would roll our eyes & just shrug it off.
What does she know anyway? She doesn't have a sister.
She never had someone sneaking into their room & borrowing their clothes without asking. She never had a sister just 2 years older than her who would intentionally not include her in what they were doing, just because she wanted some time to spend with her real friends. She never had a sister who would tease her. She never had a sister who would drive her to school in the freezing cold temperatures, and never turn on the heat & take pleasure in the fact that she was sitting there shivering. She never had a sister who she would argue with & come to blows with on a daily basis, exchanging punches like boys at the dinner table.
But then, after we were each out of the house, we "liked" each other much more. And it was like a light bulb came on in my head *DING*
She never had a sister who would do all of those things, and still be her best friend for life. She never had a sister who she could borrow clothes from with or without asking. She never had a sister who would include her & take her along to some events (even though I am sure it was no fun to drag your bratty little sister along to things where your actual friends were). She never had a sister who would drive her to school instead of making her ride the stinky old bus. She never had a sister who would ask her to be the maid of honor in her wedding. She never had a sister who would laugh, joke, & talk with her all the time. She never had a sister who she could ask all kinds of pregnancy/childbirth questions to & not worry about her sister being offended or laughing at them.
It took me a few years to figure it out, but at least I eventually did. Sisters are very special. Olivia & Rachel are so incredibly blessed, and they don't even realize it yet. I am sure they will have their own squabbles & rough patches. And I would be lying if I didn't admit, I am a little scared of what lies ahead in the teen years in the Totten household. Especially if these 2 girls are anything like their mother. Just a little bit on the sassy side, I was. But eventually, just like me, I am sure they will come around to see the light. Sisters are lucky blessed. They have a ready-made best friend!


1 comment:
This is ohhh so true!!!! My sister and I are 4 years a part and may have had our arguements when we were young but are oh so close and never argue anymore- we are best friends!!!! I love this post- so touching and awesome:] I am glad you feel the same with your sister too and your cute girls!!!
Post a Comment