Thursday, December 24, 2009

All I Want for Christmas

Boy, oh boy, Christmas time is upon us. It really kind of snuck up on me. It always does that. I find myself finishing up shopping, wrapping, & assembling until the day...every year. I did do better this year than in the past though.

Funny how my outlook has changed just within the last 6 years or so. I am much happier being the gift giver than I am being the gift receiver. I had a tremendously difficult time coming up with "lists" for myself to give to people who asked. I was hard pressed to think of a one thing that I really needed or wanted for Christmas.

The older I get, or maybe it is the older my children get, I don't need gifts. I just want them to be happy, healthy, & have a merry Christmas. I want the memories of the four of us on Christmas morning. I want the smiles, the laughter, & the excitement. I want the people I love to be happy.

We definitely did Christmas on a budget this year. And I am trying hard not to feel guilty. I want to be able to give my girls anything their little hearts desire. But, I am realistic. And I know my girls. I know they are going to love what they get. I can just imagine all of the smiles I will see tomorrow morning.

Jarrett & I are teaching the girls about the true meaning of Christmas. Olivia really gets it. She told me a couple days ago, "Christmas is about the presents you can't wrap. Like love in your heart, Mama. You can't wrap that." Doesn't that just melt your heart. And she said, "Christmas is Jesus' birthday." --- {proud Mama, pats herself on the back}

So now, the real fun begins. Today is Christmas Eve! I took the day off of work, just to kick back & relax with my girlies. And, ahem...to finish up some very last minute shopping.

This evening we are having dinner with Jarrett's parents & brothers. Can we say delicious cooking??? YUMMM. Immediately following dinner, the four of us are due at my Grandma & Grandpa's for Christmas with my Dad's side. Can we say loads of fun & laughter??? My family is completely nuts.

Christmas morning is ours to enjoy. Just the four of us sitting on the living room floor by the tree. I think back to last year, and I can remember every second of it. Each smile, each squeal. I cannot wait for that again. It makes my heart happy.

Around 11:00 or noon, we are due at Jarrett's parents for brunch & presents there. Yummm B & G all the way. Then we will sleep it off & back at it at my Mom & Dad's around 5:00. That will be entertaining & loud with all four of the little Brownies there.

Well, I better get crackin' on some cookies for Santa...he will be here tonight!

Merry Christmas & God bless!


No comments: