Oh weekends, you are a doubled-edge sword. I love you, but sometimes I cannot wait until Monday morning so I can join the grown-up world. (This was one of those weekends.) The monotony of typing away in my cubicle, answering questions about retirement, payroll, & everything else under the sun at work. Then by about Thursday, I've usually had my fill of the working world & am ready for the weekend. It's a vicious circle. Then of course, I suffer from the never ending Mommy guilt like a stab to my gut everytime.
I try to make weekends fun. And I think I was right on the money with this weekend!
I try to make weekends fun. And I think I was right on the money with this weekend!
Yesterday, I took the girls to the local hotel to swim. It's pretty awesome that you can pay $5 per person & be able to swim all day in the hotel pool. We were there for a little over 2 hours. And pretty much had the whole pool to ourselves for the entire time. It was wonderful. The girls had so much fun. And I in turn, am the best Mommy in the whole world. That's a direct quote from both girls. ::pats self on back::
Then since I was on a roll, we went to Wal-Mart & they each got to pick a movie from the $5 bin. Olivia chose Addams Family Values. A classic that I love. Rachel, with a little nudge from me, chose Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. The original, none of that remake Johnny Depp crap. You know what's sad, neither of the girls had seen that movie.
It had the makings of the most wonderful Sunday in the history of the world. I'm serious. It was awesome.
It had the makings of the most wonderful Sunday in the history of the world. I'm serious. It was awesome.
Somehow, after about an hour at home, the girls forgot how wonderful I was by taking them to swim. Because I heard the usual - you never let us do anything. Really?! Didn't I just spend 2 hours swimming & throwing you both in the pool. I'm pretty sure I did, because my shoulder is killing me from heaving a 70 pound 7 year old up over my head like 15 to 20 times.
After watching Willy Wonka, Jarrett & I decided our girls are just like Veruca Salt sometimes. I'm sure it's just a phase, but I am losing my patience.
Don't get me wrong, I would say the majority of the time, they are the absolute light of my life. And I would rather be with them than with anyone else on the entire planet. But yesterday afternoon, oh Lord help me.
What I really struggle with is the "you-never-let-me-do-anything" general sass they always seem to reserve JUST.FOR.ME. It's days like yesterday, that make me apologize to my own mother for, no doubt, behaving this exact same way. At least they come by it honest.
Surely, this cannot go on forever. Surely, it won't. Until this phase passes, I should get used to seeing these disgruntled faces.



No comments:
Post a Comment