Monday, October 17, 2011

threats & bribery

I don't profess to be some all-knowing amazing parent. I want the best for my children. I pray for their health. I pray for their futures. I love them with every fiber of my being down to my very core. I was born to be a mother, I know this.

All that being said, these are trying times, friends. Trying times. Olivia is the queen of sass. Remember this? Well, it got easier for a little bit, but then we quickly went backwards. If you look up the word defiant in the dictionary, this should be what you see.
I'm not kidding, I wish I was.

She is learning that very painful lesson that bad behavior & attitude means consequences. Except we are past "time outs" & spankings (yes, we believe in spankings - I was spanked EVERY DAY {that's where Olivia gets the sass, I guess} & I am fine.) So now we are losing privileges. This weekend, Olivia learned that playing her DS is a privilege, not a right. She will be without that bad boy for a week.

And not to make Rachel out to be the "good one" & Olivia the "bad one" we will address Rachel. She is the most opinionated 3 year old I have ever met. She will be 4 next week. She marches to the beat of her own drum, and gets mad when you try to change the tune. It's pretty much awesome.

So, Jarrett & I have resorted to a new method of parenting - Threats & Bribery. We're not above it, obviously. Jarrett & I joked just this morning that it has proven to be a pretty effective parenting method. And I am sure a lot of people use it, just are as readily willing to admit it as we are. Ha!

Now I am off to make a "behavior chart" for each of my gals. Maybe I shouldn't look at it as threats & bribery....maybe its more consequences & rewards - that sounds better.

No comments: