Sunday, June 13, 2010

only 29.5 hours

On this day, at this exact time 6 years ago - I was admitted to the hospital.

Let me give a little background...
At about week 12 of my pregnancy with Olivia, my Dr told me that he thought I would be at a greater risk for pre-eclampsia than most pregnant gals.

My reaction at the appointment - Oh really, ok.
My reaction at home - OMG! I read the entire section on pre-eclampsia in my What to Expect book, I googled pre-eclampsia, I web-md'ed pre-eclampsia. I called my Mom in tears, scared to death that my sweet baby in ute would not make it to full term or that he/she would be still born. I fuh-reaked out to the max!!! Ok, so if I didn't have high blood pressure to begin with, I certainly did from this point on.

I believe I had 2 appointments after that initial one where my blood pressure was border-line. It is normally 115/60, when I was pregnant with Olivia it was 140's/90's. Not horrible but not ideal for a pregnancy.

When I was at 32 weeks, the Dr ordered partial bedrest. My blood pressure was pretty high & they found protein in my urine. I worked half days & then came home & slept on my left side for the remainder of the afternoon. I cut out all salt. I drank water with lemon like it was going out of style. Anything I could do to keep my blood pressure & swelling to a minimum.

At 36 weeks, the Dr ordered no more work. I sat at home all day with my feet up. But the swelling in my legs & feet was bad even if I didn't walk anywhere but to the bathroom & back like 10 times a day.

I went to the Dr. on Thursday, June 10th. The nurse said & I quote "wow, the swelling is worse than last week. If it gets any worse than this you need to call & go to the hospital." So, on Friday I called because it was worse. They said "we will see you at the hospital on Sunday night at 6:00 pm. You are gonna have this baby." What, like I actually am going to have this baby, whoa - let me think about this. HaHa (nervous laughs)

*BIRTH STORY*
PROCEED WITH CAUTION :)

Jarrett & I arrive at the hospital Sunday, June 13th at 6:00 pm. We go up to our lovely private labor/delivery/recovery room. I get hooked up to monitors & IVs get started - oh I had group B strep so I had to get penicillin through my IV the whole time. Ever had that??? It burns like fire through your veins. Not.A.Good.Time. I got cervadil because my cervix was no where near ready for this baby to come out. And THANK HEAVEN they gave me a sleeping pill so I could at least try to get some sleep.

By 5:00 am I was up wide awake with contractions. Really bad menstrual cramps is what it felt like. I was all - oh this isn't bad at all. I can do this. Alas I was barely a 2. Enter pitocin (aka: the drug of Satan!) All before 6:00 am. WooHoo - baby will be here before we know it.

By noon I was at a 3...a 3. 4 whole hours & 1 measley little centimeter. Still I am perfectly content, not in too much pain. I'm thinking natural childbirth here I come. Enter the crochet needle to break my water. UHM...Really - that was a bad idea doc. Nowhere in my books did it say that once your water is broken your contractions will intensify by 1000. Did you guys know that, or am I dumb? Oh & they upped my pitocin - awesome!

Check at 1:30 pm -- 4
Check at 2:30 pm -- 4

By 3:00 pm I am complaining to Jarrett that I think I am going to die. I felt like I was going to split in two. I can't get up & walk because when they broke my water it was discovered the baby had passed meconium into the fluid. So, I had to stay in bed with the internal fetal monitor on. Hello bedpan! And another check -- 4.

Around 3:30 pm I asked for something for the pain. Actually Jarrett did, he may like me because he was all "this is ridiculous. get something for the pain already, I can't sit & watch you in this much pain when there is something that will help!" I was scared to do an epidural, so I got something in my IV. It was lovely...I was completely looped out. I felt like I was floating. I told Jarrett that we could probably leave because I was fine (he told me this later). Ha - I am sure this drug had no lasting effect on the baby.

5:00 pm -- still a 4. Enter the Dr - maybe you should think about an epidural. Looks like baby is stubborn & you may end up with a c-section. Since we broke your water, we really don't want to let you labor for a very long time with no progress. Plus you know, your blood pressure - it ain't good.

6:00 pm -- still a 4. We discuss it...if I end up with a c-section they are going to have to do epidural or spinal anyway...
6:30 pm -- Enter the masked man pushing the craftsman tool chest on wheels. Epidural time. Boy, nothing takes your breath away like a needle to the spine. Wow!

7:00 pm -- 4
I am angry - over 24 hours here & I am not holding a baby. Jarrett ate a bag of peanut M&Ms in front of me. I told him to leave because I could have nothing but water & ice for the entire time we had been at the hospital.

My sister visits - we watch a couple episodes of Friends. She smacks my numb leg at a funny part & we both laugh so hard because I felt nothing.

8:00 pm -- 4
9:00 pm -- 4

10:00 pm check - I said out loud for all to hear "If you check me & say I am still a 4, I will kick you. And if you think I'm joking, you're wrong!" annnnnnnnnd 7.

What do you know, epidural = no pain/lowered blood pressure from not fearing I will die from the pain of childbirth/Laughing & watching TV which all lead to some progress. YIPEE!

10:30 pm - I tell Jar I think I need to poo. He calls for the nurse not wanting to man up & run the bedpan for me. Ha! Nurse says may not be poo may be baby...lets check again. AND 9!!!

11:00 pm - Dr arrives looking nearly asleep. Poor on-call Dr covering my Dr's patients. He has been at it since last night when I was admitted & delivered 2 other babies.

Pushing starts at 11:00 pm - and what do you know, I am a good pusher. At least that is what the nurse told me. 4 pushes & there the baby is.

11:25 pm -- all Hell breaks loose in the room. STOP PUSHING! The cord is wrapped around baby's neck twice. STOP PUSHING! Nurses are frantic & Dr is yelling words I have no idea what they mean because of his really thick accent. But I get the gist of it - it's not good. The Dr had to cut the cord where it was wrapped around the baby's neck.

And plop, a gray little baby not moving or breathing is on my chest. Oh sweet Lord, my little baby - it's a girl!!! But she is not doing well. And then after what seemed like hours - but was probably just a couple of minutes. These 2 big blue eyes popped open & looked right at me - like "what the crap mom". They whisked her away to give her some oxygen & clean some of the gunk off of her. And I get stitched up.

I don't hear her cry for about 10 minutes. Then there it was - sweet sweet cries. My once gray little girl is all pink & is pretty ticked off.

Finally, all is right with the world. I get to hold my sweet little daughter. And her name is:

Olivia Grace Totten

11:27 pm
Monday, June 14, 2004
7 pounds 1 ounce
19 inches

So, yea I didn't exactly have the whole - Dr yelling out "It's a Girl" moment that you see on TV, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Today we had this little girl's 6th birthday party! How have 6 years already passed?! Pictures & lots of other great things coming tomorrow!

I love you, Olivia. You were so completely worth all the pain & waiting! I don't know what else to say, other than you have blessed my life in so many ways. Thank you for making me a Mommy!

No comments: